Skip to main content

Hello , 

I was wondering if someone knows how can we compare data with last year same day comparaison instead of just last year ? (really needed for the retail sector) 

(e.g Monday 19 August 2024 vs Monday 21 August 2023 instead of the 19/08/24 vs 19/08/23 dafault comparaison window) 

If seen some stuff online but honestly it wasn’t work on my side ! 

Thanks for your help :D 

Paul T 

You might be able to pull it off with Looker Studio alone, but it may require a lot of tinkering with dates, and may not work in all cases. (YMMV)

One other option is to use Google Sheets as an intermediary. If you have access to Supermetrics for Google Sheets, then you can first load data into the spreadsheet and let us compare values for you while taking weekdays into account.

The only thing left would be to surface that data in Looker Studio with the Sheets connector.

HTH

Hi!

You might also be able to do this in Looker Studio. With the following formula you should be able to generate a custom field that produces a date that corresponds to the same Day of the week approximately 1 year ago: 

DATETIME_ADD(DATETIME_SUB(datefield, INTERVAL 1 YEAR), INTERVAL (WEEKDAY(datefield) - weekday(DATETIME_SUB(datefield, INTERVAL 1 YEAR))) DAY)

You just need to replace the “datefield” with the date field you want to use in your reports. I did a little sample test and it seems to do the trick.

But if this solution doesn’t work for you, please let us know :)

Hi Paul,

The new time comparison chart (you are part of the closed beta I think), has an option to achieve the same.

This doesn’t give you the flexibility to use it in other charts, but is only a click away.

https://lookerstudio.google.com/u/0/reporting/880f7603-cd08-4c83-8fa0-800d0cc948b5/page/p_thqselp1hd

Hello all, 

Thanks for your answers ! Really helpful :) 

To let you David, for an unkown reason with some dates your formula is working and for some it’s not , here a e.g : (like 18 & 19 August isn’t OK but 17 to 13 ok and the 12th it’s not) I will try to investigate it but it’s not fully helping me

I will try to use community chart (I’m part of the closed beta but I’m using a source where I don’t have access to modify it yet) 

And Pavel, thanks for your answer, but since mostly all my queries are sending the data from SuperMetrics to GCP, I won’t want to change it and to host it into a spreadsheet, but it’s good to know ! 

Thanks for you support & answers :D 

Paul T

Hi Paul,

Another thing came in my mind. Marcus Stade and Patrick Mohr gave a workshop recently to show how they do YoY comparison with BigQuery. They only do this on week level, but maybe this can be modified to achieve a day-over-day comparison also...

https://share.descript.com/view/pgmk3S9cXZt