Skip to main content

I want the value in the ‘Value’ field to be pulled in from a cell in my sheet (e.g. E2) that would contain the Product Title i want to filter from.

Is this possible?

Hi @haynesy 👋🏼

Did you try using “Product title” as a dimension? 

If I understand your question correctly, that might do the trick 😊

Let me know if it works, and if not, I’ll reach out to some of my Sheet-wizard colleagues! 🤝

Thanks for getting back to me. Not quite what i am after. I want to pull a value from my sheet into the VALUE field in the supermetrics query so i can change via the sheet rather than opening the modify query panel. e.g. I want the VALUE in my filter to = E2 - where E2 is a field in my sheet where i enter the filter data.

I suspect i might not be able to do this!

Hey @haynesy 

I believe this here is what you’re looking for:

https://support.supermetrics.com/support/solutions/articles/19000106873-how-to-use-cell-references-to-dynamically-update-a-query-in-google-sheets

Once you unhide the SupermetricsQueries sheet, it gives you access to every query parameter as normal cell values which you can manipulate. It takes a bit of trial and error first to not break the formatting but once you have dialled that in correctly, you can achieve true wizardry :) 

I would love to hear back from you if this is useful. My team and I are responsible for creating tutorials and templates that help master Supermetrics products and features and I’m always looking for topics we can tackle next

I use this functionality a good bit myself and find it very useful for doing exactly what you are trying to do @haynesy .

If the sheet with your current extract is called Report (as in my sheet in the screenshot above), to see the SupermetricsQueries sheet, you can click on the three horizontal lines in the screenshot and click “SupermetricsQueries” to unhide the sheet.

If cell E2 in the Report sheet contains the value “Family Eternal Ring”, you can insert the below formula into cell AA21 in the SupermetricsQueries sheet (the cell is highlighted in the screenshot below):

="w{""field"":""ProductTitle"",""operator"":""=="",""value"":"""&Report!E2&""",""combineToPrev"":"";""}]"

Now when you refresh your query in the Report sheet, it will automatically filter based off the value in Cell E2 in the Report sheet.

What I find very handy is creating a dropdown list in Cell E2 using Data → Data Validation (then select “+ Add rule” and, under “Criteria”, select “Dropdown (from a range)”. )

As @bartschneider mentions, it does take a bit of trial & error to get the formula correct, but using this can save a lot of time. For example, if you have several extracts, you can update all of the extracts by just selecting a different value in your dropdown (in Cell E2) and Refresh All queries.

@Robert White great many thanks will give that a go - i would never have figured that out on my own!

Ian