Skip to main content

Choosing the right typeface for reports in Looker Studio isn't very difficult. Only a few fonts available can be used to display numbers in tables: Lato, Roboto, and Open Sans.

All three typefaces have a few things in common: they're highly readable sans-serif fonts, even in small sizes. Most importantly, their numbers are monospaced, meaning all numbers will vertically align perfectly in a table.

We chose Lato over Roboto and Open Sans because "Lato" is the Polish word for "summer". We all love summer at Supermetrics.

Tip: Make sure your numbers are well-aligned when used in a table. Not all typefaces use monospaced numbers.

To ensure consistent usage of font faces and sizes, we recommend creating a page that lists the different headlines, sub-headlines, and labels or axes in your reports. In Looker Studio, you can also determine the line height. You may use a custom value for bigger text blocks to create a more airy look.

It is always a good idea to document the choices of type face, size and color.

Of course, you can also be creative with different fonts. We like to use "Indie Flower" to create hand-style type annotations in some of our visualization guides.

Scripts like “Indie Flower” can add some style to your reports.

What font combinations are you using in your reports?

I wish Looker Studio had richer typesetting capabilities, especially when it comes to tabular data. For example, aligning numerical columns around the decimal point, like Excel or LaTeX do. Or perhaps there’s a way? 🥲

I certainly would wish for a broader choice in typefaces, especially with the extensive Google Fonts library available.

Regarding aligning numerical values, I suggest to format a metric column with consistent decimal precision, aligning the text to the right, and using a typeface with monospaced numbers—as described in the article. This produces typically a result with a readable outcome.