Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

• Objective: Stack multiple headline columns (Headline 1 to Headline 15) into a single column in Looker Studio.
  • Challenge: Looker Studio doesn’t natively support this transformation.
  • Data Source: Using the Supermetrics connector for Google Ads, which lacks a built-in feature for stacking columns vertically.
  • Need: A workaround or best practices to achieve this within Looker Studio.

Has anyone faced a similar issue or found a solution? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Robin, you can use the CONCAT function to get all the columns into one: 

CONCAT(Headline 1 (Multi asset),", ",Headline 2 (Multi asset),", ",Headline 3 (Multi asset))

However the above function combines them horizontally. Could you please elaborate a bit more on the desired result? Is there a scenario where you can stack those columns vertically while keeping all the headlines and the integrity of the data? (ie. not duplicating the number of clicks for each headline). Or were you thinking of a different scenario? 

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your update!

Yes I agree concat can be used in that way. However, I was looking to rank each headlines based on their performance. Is there anyway to achieve a Vertical stack of all Headlines 1 thru 15 in one table?

Hi Robin, 

With the data that I have, I don’t see a way to achieve that because there is no data available for such a breakdown. For example, in the following screenshot, you can see headlines 2 and 3. The original text is blurred, and while the text is different for each headline, the numbers are the same.

These two headlines belong to the same row and show the same number of clicks. In other words, there is no data indicating how many clicks each headline received individually. See the screenshot when queried together:

So, either those 3,007 clicks are split equally between headlines 2 and 3, or the total of 3,007 clicks is counted for both headlines, causing duplication. Either way, this does not answer the question of which headline performed better due to the lack of data.