How do you use the Shopify connector, and what brings you the most value (vs. Shopify native reporting)?

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • Community Manager
  • 7 replies

Hey,

I'm calling out for help here 👋🏼

We’re seeing that the Shopify connector is trending amongst our Supermetrics customers, but I have a feeling that we’re not doing a great job in enabling our customers on use-cases and best practises with this connector. 

Could you help me understand the value of this connector a bit better?

• What are the most important use-cases with the Shopify connector?
  • What are things that you can do with the connector vs. in the native platform?
  • How do you use this connector together with other connectors, such as Google Ads, Meta and Klaviyo?
  • Is there anything else that we should take into account when planning for enabling materials?

We’re planning to build an e-commerce specific onboarding path for our customers, and your insights will help us to do a better job! 

2 replies

Userlevel 1

I generally don’t find Shopify reporting (inside the Shopify platform) to provide insights which are always useful. In my view, the Shopify connector is a pretty improtant tool to gain access to the data points and present them in ways which are more useful to my clients.

Sample Use Case

As an example, our clients sometimes struggle with reporting on product sales in hierarchy or based on other item attributes. Depending on the Shopify build, the data points for category, subcategory, etc. doesn’t often exist and therefore reporting isn’t possible within the platform. A solution which we found works is to extract the item sales data from Shopify (using the SM shopify connector) and joining it with a GSheet table (SKU level definitions of category, subcategory, and anything else useful for reporting) which defines hierarchy and other product attributes enables the ability for slicing and dicing the sales data in a lot of new, useful ways. 

This keeps reporting real time and interactive so that clients don’t need to process the data outside of whichever visualization tool they prefer (Looker Studio in most cases for us). 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I generally don’t find Shopify reporting (inside the Shopify platform) to provide insights which are always useful. In my view, the Shopify connector is a pretty improtant tool to gain access to the data points and present them in ways which are more useful to my clients.

Sample Use Case

As an example, our clients sometimes struggle with reporting on product sales in hierarchy or based on other item attributes. Depending on the Shopify build, the data points for category, subcategory, etc. doesn’t often exist and therefore reporting isn’t possible within the platform. A solution which we found works is to extract the item sales data from Shopify (using the SM shopify connector) and joining it with a GSheet table (SKU level definitions of category, subcategory, and anything else useful for reporting) which defines hierarchy and other product attributes enables the ability for slicing and dicing the sales data in a lot of new, useful ways. 

This keeps reporting real time and interactive so that clients don’t need to process the data outside of whichever visualization tool they prefer (Looker Studio in most cases for us). 

That’s great @RickM - I really appreciate the input! 👏🏼 Thank you!

Do you then use this more granular data in optimising marketing spend? Are there some decisions that you’re then able to make based on this data?