Skip to main content
Question

Creating a relationship between Facebook Ads and Instagram Insights data

• 9 September 2024
  • 3 replies

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a relation between Instagram posts (likes comments etc. - Instagram Insights) and the ad spend on those posts (promoting for example- Facebook Ad manager). I am looking to create a dashboard where we show engagement (Instagram Insights) and spend (Facebook Ads). However, as far as I know this would require an overlapping dimension in Instagram Insights and Facebook ads in order to create a relationship in PowerBi, preferably done through a unique values post ID. Unfortunately post ID or media ID's are not the same numbers in the two data sources.

Would love to hear if others experience the same issue.

Hello Tom!

There is a field called promoted_post_id_ig which (in theory!) should contain your Instagram Post ID. I found it to work inconsistently, it probably depends on how your post promotions are set up. But it’s worth checking if you’re looking for a matching field.

Also, I personally considered matching by the text of the post, possibly if the start date of the post promotion is within a certain timeframe of the publish date, but I didn’t try that one out so far. We don’t work with PowerBI so I don’t know if this is an option here.

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for your elaborate response. I indeed tried adding the promoted_post_id. At first it seemed to be the solution. However, I also found it to be largely inconsistent. Reason for it is probably due to the fact that Meta creates a new ID once a post is promoted solely on Instagram and when a post is posted on both Facebook and Instagram the post also gets a seperate Facebook ID and seperate Instagram ID. The spend on a post that is placed on both Facebook and Instagram can only be tracked by the Facebook ID.

Matching on start date unfortunately doesn't work. This only works for posts that are promoted right after posting. However, a post that is promoted after a while receives the date when promoting has started which instantly results in either a mismatch or no match at all. Matching on title or text also doesnt work since posts on instagram do not have a title.

It looks like meta either doesn't want us to seperate those two or it is something they haven't been up to yet.

Maybe supermetrics can implement a possible solution.

Hi Tom,

Did you try matching it on Post message (Instagram Organic) and Ad Body (Facebook Ads)? As long as your posts have a unique post message, this should work as well.

Matching it solely on start day doesn’t work for us either, for exactly the same reason. I just considered adding the start date (+ up to a few days) as an additional failsafe, however, I would still need to check out how exactly to do this.